There’s nothing easier or more satisfying than a one-dish meal that is the mighty grain bowl. All of the cooked ingredients can be prepared ahead of time, leaving you with a 30-second assembly and plenty of leftovers to enjoy the next day. The combination of cooked and fresh veggies as well as the warmth and comfort of a fluffy quinoa base will keep you satisfied for the entire afternoon. The pickled beets will not only dye everything they touch a gorgeous deep magenta, but also offer a combination of tang, sweetness, and naturally-occurring probiotics that nourish the digestive system and support immunity through reducing unnecessary inflammation in the gut. Fresh cilantro removes and mobilizes heavy metals from the body while raw pumpkin seeds provide magnesium, zinc, and a satisfying crunch.
– 1 cup organic fresh baby spinach
– ¼ cup sliced cucumbers
– ½ cup roasted sweet potatoes
– ⅓ cup roasted broccoli and/or sautéed kale
– ⅓ cup cookies white quinoa
– pickled beets and raw pumpkin seeds to top
Cilantro-tahini dressing ingredients:
– ⅓ cup olive oil
– ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
– 1 cup of loosely packed cilantro
– 2 tbsp tahini (raw or roasted is ok)
– ¼ tsp cumin
– 1-2 cloves of garlic
– salt + pepper
(This will make more than enough dressing for one bowl–store in fridge for up to a week and enjoy on other meals or as a dip for cut veggies.)
Instructions for dressing:
- Mince garlic.
- Combine ingredients in food processor or blender and blend on low setting until smooth. Dressing can also be made by hand using a french whip–just make sure to chop the cilantro very finely before mixing in.
Assembling the bowl:
Grab a large bowl, pack with fresh spinach, then top with quinoa. Follow with sweet potatoes and cooked greens. Add cucumber slices, pickles, and pumpkin seeds. Top generously with dressing. It’s all about the sauce.
Recipe & Words By: Evelina Miropolsky
Photos By: Naomi Huober