B Wisdom, a Bala series in which we explore wisdom for the modern yogi that enriches mind, body, and spirit.
This month in B Wisdom, we are covering Healing Crystals! Some may look at the practice of integrating using crystals as too “woo woo”, but we couldn’t disagree more.
Let us break it down from a scientific standpoint. Humans and everything around us are made of matter, which by definition holds an energetic component. Everything, from the table next to you, to the soil underneath your feet holds energy. And guess what? Energy vibrates. Just as quartz is used in microchips to amplify energy in technology, all crystals vibrate at a level that can raise energy. Take it a step further, and understand that these vibrations can interact and effect our own.
Apart from vibration, crystals are often used for their grounding effects. They are of the Earth, and will help connect you to its powerful energy when you need.
To summarize, crystals hold unique power to shift and transform energy as well as to ground and connect us to the Earth. From our favorite crystals and their uses, to how to care for them, here is our B Wisdom guide to getting more crystals into your life.
HOW TO USE CRYSTALS
The first thing to understand with using crystals, is that it is an intuitive practice. If the crystals are calling to you in some way, then by all means, follow that. However, if you are seeking new ways to experiment and weave crystals into your life, we have a few methods to share.
- Add Crystals to Your Bath: Place crystals along the rim of your bath or beside your head, stomach and hips to stimulate the crown, solar plexus, and root chakras. You can also place crystals directly into the water, choosing a crystal and intention that makes sense for what you are in need of that day. You can also hold them in your hands or place on top of your heart.
- Place Crystals Around Your Yoga Mat: Gem expert, Heather Askinosie recommends placing two Selenite cleansing stones at the top corners of your yoga mat and two Shungite stones on the outsides of the bottom of your mat. This layout is designed to re-align root chakras for grounding and balance.
- Wear Your Crystals: Purchase or create jewelry that you can wear and carry with you at all times. Think of your intention for the day, and pick a piece that speaks to that intention when getting dressed in the morning.
- Place Crystals Along the Chakras: A common practice is to use crystals for healing and restoring the seven major energy chakras. If you have a chakra that is feeling depleted or simply in need of a little more love, try placing a crystal there next time you are in savasana or a reclined meditation.
CRYSTALS FOR COMMON NEEDS
- Depression: Citrine, Lemurian, Shungite, Aventurine, Onyx
- Stress Relief: Amethyst, Hematite, Agate, Rose Quartz
- Energy Depletion: Selenite, Quartz
- Communication: Blue Lace Agate, Carnelian, Amazonite, Blue Apatite, Blue Calcite, Chrysocolla
- Heartache and Love: Rhodonite, Rose Quartz, Fuchsite
- Intuition: Lapis Lazuli, Amethyst, and Clear Quartz
- Creativity: Carnelian, Orange Calcite, Vanadinite, Aragonite, Tangerine Quartz
- Wealth & Abundance: Citrine, Jade
CRYSTALS AND COLOR
- Black: Absorb Negativity, Provide Protection
- Blue: Calming, Communication
- Yellow/Green: Wealth & Abundance
- Pink/Red: Passion, Love, Courage
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR CRYSTALS
Crystals need to be cleansed and purified. They pick up the energy around them, and if you don’t do the upkeep, they can become heavy, dense, and less affective. Traditionally, you can cleanse your crystals under the light of the full moon. It’s also a good idea to purify crystals more often when they have been exposed to intense, negative, or chaotic energy. Here are ways in which you can cleanse your crystals:
- Place crystals outside for a sunbath and/or place them under the moonlight of a full moon
- Soak stones in salt water
- Ring bells or clap hands to break up energy in the room
- Burn Sage or Palo Santo
- Diffuse Frankincense Essential Oil